LANCIA FLAMINIA SPORT ZAGATO (Series I)
Country of Manufacture: Italy Vin
#: 824 00 1097
Model Type: 2 Door coupe
Body Designer: Zagato (Ercole Spada)
Engine: OHV V6 (2458 cc)
Horsepower: 119 bhp DIN, 131 bhp SAE @5600 rpm
Torque: 149 lb @ 3600 rpm
Transmission: 4-Speed gearbox
Front- Independent with unequal-length wishbones, coil
springs, hydraulic shock absorbers, stabilizer bar.
Rear- Solid axle de Dion with semi-elliptic leaf springs,
Panhard rod, stabilizer bar.
Front- Dunlop discs
Rear- Dunlop discs
Top Speed: 118 mph
History: The Flaminia 4 door prototype was first seen
at the Turin Motor Show in 1956. This prototype was bodied
by Pininfarina and was very similar in styling to 4 earlier
special bodied prototypes collectively known as the Florida.
Underneath the modern exterior there were radical changes.
As the existing Aurelia V6 engine had reached the limits of
its development, a completely new V6 engine had been developed
which allowed for better cooling, more power and capacity
growth. More significantly, for the fist time since 1923,
Lancia abandoned its sliding pillar front suspension in favor
of a more modern wishbone and coil spring set-up. Disc brakes
were offered as an option but soon became standard. While
Pininfarina built the vast majority of Flaminia’s including
5236 coupe versions, chassis were also supplied to Touring
for their GT version built in both convertible and coupe forms
(949 built), and to Zagato who built the Sport.
Production: Production: The Zagato bodied Flaminia’s
were produced in 3 distinct series. The first series produced
from 1958-59 featured a single carburetor, a 2.5 liter engine,
covered headlights and rounded tail: 99 examples were built.
The second series produced from 1959-1964 featured open headlights
but retained the rounded tail: 350 examples were built with
varying engine sizes (2.5 to 2.8 liter) and either one or
three carburetors. The third series produced from 1964-1967
featured a 2.8 liter engine and 3 carburetors but reverted
back to covered headlights albeit in a more upright, less
rounded fender/headlight arrangement and a squared-off Kamm
tail; 189 of these were built.
This car was exhibited at Pebble Beach in 2008
placing 3rd in the Lancia Post War through 1967 Class.
Return to Top